Like Christmas and the taxman, birthdays can be relied upon to come around once a year. Most of us can’t wait for them when we’re young, though perhaps we quietly begin to fear them as we get a little older. Whatever the circumstances, though, we’d certainly hope your birthday is a cause for celebration, so here are uDiscover’s Best Birthday Songs to soundtrack the celebration of birthday cards, frenzied unwrapping of presents, and the consumption of way too much cake (and, eventually, booze).
Stevie Wonder – Happy Birthday
From Stevie Wonder’s acclaimed Hotter Than July, “Happy Birthday” was written in tribute to the late, great Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr’s birthday as part of the campaign to make it a national holiday.
‘Live And Let Die’: Paul McCartney Gives Wings To 007
‘Les And Mary’: Les Paul, Mary Ford, And A Match Made In Musical Heaven
Tom Jones Has Fans Asking For ‘More’ On Vintage ‘Ed Sullivan’ Performance
Click to load video
Altered Images – Happy Birthday
This Scottish new wave band’s biggest hit from 1981 is still as bouncy, carefree, and celebratory as birthday songs come. It also featured in the quintessential birthday movie Sixteen Candles and was covered rather memorably by The Ting Tings on Yo Gabba Gabba.
The Crests – 16 Candles
Sweet 16 is still an important milestone today, but it was an especially big deal in the 1950s and 60s. Neil Sedaka had his own rendition for 16th birthday celebrations called “Happy Birthday Sweet Sixteen,” but the most popular one of that era for this age group was “16 Candles,” a tune that later went on to become the title song of the 1984 John Hughes film.
Leslie Gore – It’s My Party
OK, “It’s My Party” does admittedly examine a more melancholic side of what should be a special day but hey, it’s still a great song and it is your party, after all. If your Johnny left with a Judy, you should feel free to cry.
Katy Perry – Birthday
Party planners were reputedly hired to help produce the video for this Top 40 hit from Katy Perry’s Prism album wherein viewers are treated to a number of creative birthday cakes throughout. Yum!
Katy Perry - Birthday (Lyric Video)
Click to load video
Madonna – B’day Song
Strangely, only a bonus track from Madonna’s MDNA, yet this exuberant track is perfect for a birthday celebration of any age.
The Smiths – Unhappy Birthday
Another one from the dark side of the birthday moon, Morrissey comes to wish you many miserable returns on your special day.
Drake – Ratchet Happy Birthday
Drake knew that opening a song with the line “It’s your f—in’ birthday/It’s a f—in’ celebration” was going to get a bit of attention. He was right. It’s now firmly a modern b-day classic.
Rascal Flatts – My Wish For You
Rascal Flatts’ “My Wish For You” can be used for just about any special occasion, given the general nature of its inspirational lyrics. For someone trying to send a heartfelt birthday message, it works every time.
The Tune Weavers – Happy, Happy Birthday Baby
Holidays and special days are the hardest for the broken-hearted. This tune is a melancholic break-up song, sung from the vantage point of someone writing a note to their former significant other. Sample lyric: “Hope I didn’t spoil your birthday, I’m not acting like a lady/So I’ll close this note to you with good luck and wishes too.”
Taylor Swift – Never Grow Up
Any great singer-songwriter has plenty to say about aging and birthdays. And so it is with Taylor Swift. Her best is the inspirational ode, “Never Grow Up.”
the bird and the bee – Birthday
the bird and the bee employ slick electropop for this lovely, personal birthday song that crescendos with, “I will love you on your birthday/I will love you better than them.”
Don McLean – Birthday Song
Sentimental, yet passionate song of celebration from the much-celebrated “American Pie” hit-maker.
Loretta Lynn – Happy Birthday
Another birthday song with a sting in the tale, on “Happy Birthday,” country legend Loretta Lynn wishes a happy birthday and also a fond farewell to an ex-beau. Take that, feller!
Click to load video
They Might Be Giants – Older
“You’re older than you’ve ever been…and now you’re even older!” sing these US quirk-popsters, ramming the point home on this festive little number.
The Sugarcubes – Birthday
Ethereal Icelandic alt-pop may not spring so readily to mind when considering a b-day song, yet this mysterious indie-pop hit from 1987 was the first time the wider world got to hear Bjork’s remarkable voice.
Peter Hammill – Birthday Special
Probably the most oblique selection here, wherein the Van Der Graaf Generator frontman waxes lyrical about Hansel and Gretel and parrots in the pantry rather than cakes, candles, and party games. Great track for the discerning art-rock birthday bash, though.
Steppenwolf – At Your Birthday
Feeling the need for some gnarly acid rock as you cut your cake? No problem, try this wholesome slice cut from the band’s 1969 album At Your Birthday Party.
Click to load video
Destiny’s Child – Birthday
Sit back, relax, and let Destiny’s Child handle your special day. That’s the message from this sultry song from their 1998 album.
Selena Gomez – Birthday
Partying too hard? Selena Gomez has the answer. Just tell them it’s your special day. (They don’t know, so it’s okay.)
2 Chainz feat. Kanye West – Birthday Song
We won’t ruin 2 Chainz’s special birthday wish here, but let’s just say that this 2012 rap tune makes it very clear what he’s after.
The Beatles – Birthday
Written by John Lennon and Paul McCartney and found on the excellent The White Album, “Birthday” is a staple for all decent DJs to fall back on when announcing birthdays on air. Let’s rock!
Birthday (Remastered 2009)
Click to load video
Sufjan Stevens – Happy Birthday
This early tune from Sufjan Stevens isn’t exactly a happy birthday song, but like much of his catalogue, it has an emotional intensity equaled by few others.
Jeremih – Birthday Sex
The lead single from Jeremih’s debut album, “Birthday Sex” basically outlined the rest of his career. Just about the only lyric we can reprint here is: “You kiss me so sweetly (taste just like Hershey’s).” Special R&B for special a special birthday playlist.
Jeremih - Birthday Sex
Click to load video
Twista – Birthday
Twista does incredible work on this birthday song by weaving each and every astrological sign seamlessly into the tune. No matter when you were born, Twista’s got you covered.
Weird Al Yankovic – The Birthday Song
Looking for one of the best punk renditions of the happy birthday song? Surprisingly, Weird Al Yankovic has a great one, complete with a ripping accordion solo.
50 Cent – In Da Club
Even though it’s not actually your birthday, according to 50 Cent, this 2003 hit song has become an anthem for partiers everywhere on the special date.
50 Cent - In Da Club (Official Music Video)
Click to load video
Trey Songz – Say Aah
Is it your birthday? Drinks are on Trey Songz in this 2010 pop rap hit featuring Fabolous.
New Kids on the Block – Happy Birthday To You
One of the biggest boy bands of the 80s knew a thing or two about ballads, and this birthday song sees the group slowing down to get personal in their birthday wish for the listener.
Rihanna – Birthday Cake
“It’s not even my birthday” sings Rihanna on this poppy li’l number. But we beg to differ. We bet there’s a cake loaded with candles hidden somewhere.
Rihanna - Birthday Cake (Audio)
Click to load video
will.i.am feat. Cody Wise – It’s My Birthday
will.i.am of the Black Eyed Peas knows how to party, and on this track inspired by A.R. Rahman’s “Urvasi, Urvasi” he proves it.
Marilyn Monroe – Happy Birthday Mr. President
The most iconic rendition of “Happy Birthday” of all time? Quite possibly. Marilyn Monroe sang this sultry version to John F. Kennedy in 1962. Kennedy’s alleged response? “I can now retire from politics after having had Happy Birthday sung to me in such a sweet, wholesome way.”
The answer is quick and simple. Just smile and let them sing. Say thanks after.How do you respond to a birthday song? ›
The answer is quick and simple. Just smile and let them sing. Say thanks after.Is Happy Birthday the hardest song to sing? ›
This is what makes this universal song so difficult for people around the world to sing. The third “happy birthday” has an octave leap, meaning a seven-note jump in the musical scale. It can be hard for people to manage, especially if you started too high in the beginning and have already topped out your range.What can I sing on my own birthday? ›
- 'Birthday' by The Beatles. ...
- 'Happy Birthday' by Stevie Wonder. ...
- 'In Da Club' by 50 Cent. ...
- 'It's My Party' by Leslie Gore. ...
- 'Happy Birthday' by Altered Images. ...
- 'Birthday' by Destiny's Child. ...
- 'Birthday' by Twista. ...
- 'Happy Birthday' by 'Weird' Al Yankovic.
- 1 “I really like the melody.”
- 2 “I'm so honored you shared this with me.”
- 3 “You light up a room when you sing.”
- 4 “Thank you for writing my feelings.”
- 5 “The way you convey emotion is incredible.”
- 6 “So impressed by you.”
- 7 “That beat is out of the world.”
- Thank you for the best wishes and the beautiful emotions you expressed through the card/email. ...
- It was a great feeling that someone would always stand firmly by my side. ...
- The only stable thing in my life is your love and support.
1. “Happy Birthday to You” Song. This beloved birthday tune has been translated into more than 20 languages and is sung around the world. The original version was written in 1893 by sisters Mildred and Patty Hill, and it is said to be the most recognized songs in the English language.How do you chill for a birthday? ›
- Commit to a NEW Habit! ...
- Go for a walk or hike in nature. ...
- Start a Gratitude Journal – This is an amazing gift to give yourself and it only takes a moment to begin. ...
- Treat yourself to a Massage or Facial – There simply isn't a better way to Relax and Reset than to purposely be pampered.
- Wear a bright, colorful statement necklace with a plain outfit, like black pants and a nice, single-toned top.
- Dress up a top or dress with a low neckline with a chunky statement necklace.
- Wear a gold, silver, or black necklace if your outfit is really colorful.
- Tailor the Playlist to Your Theme, Guest List, and Setting. ...
- Make Sure You Have a Good Mix of Styles. ...
- Make Sure Your Playlist is Long Enough. ...
- Don't Be Afraid to Play Some of Your Favorite Tunes. ...
- Sandwich Lesser-Known Songs Between Fan Favorites. ...
- Listen to Your Playlist and Make Harsh Edits.
- #1 I Believe In A Thing Called Love by The Darkness.
- #2 Listen by Beyoncé
- #3 Run by Leona Lewis.
- #4 Cry Me a River by Michael Bublé
- #5 Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen.
- #6 My All by Mariah Carey.
- #7 You raise me up by Josh Groban.
- #8 Supermassive Black Hole by Muse.
Happy Birthday is written in the key of G Major. According to the Theorytab database, it is the 3rd most popular key among Major keys and the 3rd most popular among all keys.What age can kids sing Happy Birthday? ›
Most toddlers will begin singing at the age of 2 and 3; it is not uncommon for them to start slightly later at 4 – 5 years old. The first three years of your toddler's life are ideal for developing speech and auditory skills, with nursery rhymes encouraging these skills.What are some famous answer songs? ›
"Major Tom (Coming Home)" (1983) by Peter Schilling was the response to David Bowie's 1969 song "Space Oddity." "Superstar" (1983) by Lydia Murdock was an answer song to "Billie Jean" (1983) by Michael Jackson. "Taxi (Take Him Back)" was Anne LeSear's 1984 response to J. Blackfoot's 1983 song "Taxi".What makes a song good to hear? ›
Not only does a good song need to have great chords, melodies, and lyrics, but also should create some sort of reaction, or evoke a specific emotion. A lot of songwriters craft their music from specific events or experiences that they have had, making it very relatable to others.How do you compliment a singer in one word? ›
"You have a euphonious voice!" is a great compliment for a singer. This word sounds pretty when you say it, so it makes sense that it describes something pleasing to the ear.How do you say thank you to all birthday wishes? ›
- Thank you all for the wonderful birthday wishes! ...
- I'm so grateful for the thoughtful birthday messages and kind wishes from everyone at work. ...
- Thank you to my amazing colleagues for the birthday wishes!
- “Thank you so much for your excitement as I embark on this next chapter of life.” ...
- “Your support and cheer for my big move means the world. ...
- “Thanks for your encouragement. ...
- “Thank you for being there when I needed you the most. ...
- “Thanks for cheering me on!”
Thank you so much for all the thoughtful words and amazing messages you have given me on my birthday. I'm so blessed to have such a wonderful group of friends. You really made my day great. Happy day indeed!Who is No 1 song in the world? ›
According to Guinness World Records, Irving Berlin's "White Christmas" (1942) as performed by Bing Crosby is the best-selling single worldwide, with estimated sales of over 50 million copies.
iTunes Top Pop Songs
The current number one pop song on iTunes right now is Thank God I Do by Lauren Daigle. Related Charts: Top new pop songs, iTunes top pop albums, and iTunes top 100 songs.
|1. (1)||1||Last Night Morgan Wallen peak position: 1 – total weeks: 17|
|2. (3)||3||Flowers Miley Cyrus peak position: 1 – total weeks: 19|
|3. (4)||4||Kill Bill SZA peak position: 1 – total weeks: 24|
|4. (6)||6||Calm Down Rema peak position: 4 – total weeks: 38|
It's very common and normal for people to feel sad around their birthday. However, if your birthday depression leads to extreme feelings of sadness, anxiety, or isolation, you may want to consult a mental health professional for help.What is the birthday challenge? ›
The Birthday Challenge is an opportunity for you to have your friends, family, co-workers and basically everyone you know help celebrate your birthday by saving lives.What makes you respond to a song? ›
The chills you feel when you hear a particularly moving piece of music may be the result of dopamine, a neurotransmitter that triggers sensations of pleasure and well-being. As your brain becomes familiar with a particular song, your body may release dopamine upon hearing just the first few notes of the song.How do you respond to Music? ›
- Brainstem reflexes. Our brainstems react when there are loud, sudden or dissonant noises. ...
- Contagion. When we feel music has an emotional expression, we are capable of taking this expression on. ...
- Episodic memory. ...
- Evaluative conditioning. ...
- Musical expectancy. ...
- Rhythmic entrainment. ...
- Visual imagery.
Just "thank you" or "thank you so much" and a smile should be enough. How do I reply if someone I hate says "happy birthday" to me? Put on your best smile, act pleasant and like you don't hate the person, and say, "Thank you." Don't say anything mean, though, as it will encourage him/her to be nasty.What do Americans say after singing Happy Birthday? ›
But it appears one of the biggest culture shocks Americans have when moving Down Under is how we sing Happy Birthday. And it's not because of our accents, but because we end it with “hip hip hooray” – and they just don't get it.What are some emotional responses to music? ›
The subjective experience of music across cultures can be mapped within at least 13 overarching feelings: amusement, joy, eroticism, beauty, relaxation, sadness, dreaminess, triumph, anxiety, scariness, annoyance, defiance, and feeling pumped up.Why do some songs make you feel good? ›
Our favorite melodies release dopamine, known as the feel-good hormone, which activates our brain's pleasure and reward system. Music can have a positive, immediate impact on our mental state; fast tempos can psychologically and physiologically arouse us, helping energize us for the day.
Elicited and conveyed emotion in music is usually understood from three types of evidence: self-report, physiological responses, and expressive behavior. Researchers use one or a combination of these methods to investigate emotional reactions to music.How do you comment on a song? ›
- Such a great performance overall. ...
- The hard work you put into this performance shows. ...
- You never fail to amaze me. ...
- On a scale from 1 to 10, you're an 11.
- When you sing, you sing it with confidence, and you're in a different world. ...
- Another masterpiece!
Whenever we're making music, we leave the realm of social conditioning and conscious thought. Instead, we're in direct contact with our emotions. Whenever we're engaged in creativity, such as music-making, we're present in the moment. This presence allows us to get in touch with our emotions and express them.How do you respond to listening? ›
Responding well is part of the listening process. Respond in a way that signals to the other person that you understand what they're saying. Ask clarifying questions. Periodically affirm your understanding by repeating the information back to the other person.How do you say happy birthday without being awkward? ›
- You sustained one more year. Congrats!
- I wish you a happier birthday than anyone else has wished you.
- Didn't we just celebrate this like a year ago?
- Happy birthday, champ.
- Don't count the candles, enjoy your day.
- Happy you day.
- Age is just a number.
- I'm glad you were born.
- Thank you so much to my family and friends for showering me in love on my birthday. ...
- The birthday wishes from my family and friends makes me feel so much gratitude. ...
- You brought me so much joy on my special day. ...
- I am forever grateful for all of my family and friends.
- “Such emotion and connection to the song.”
- “Great passion and talent throughout. ...
- “You conveyed the emotion within the lyrics well.”
- “Good connection on stage between performers.”
- “You stand out as an individual performer.”
Thank you for all the heartfelt congratulations. You are all amazing people and friends, and I am so happy to have you in my life. I would like to thank you very much for the kind birthday wishes. It gave me a lot of pleasure to read them all and to hold them close to my heart.What do you say in a birthday voice message? ›
- I hope your birthday is more than just happy. ...
- I wanted to say for your birthday: I hope you know how special you are to me. ...
- Happiest birthday to the most beautiful person in my life. ...
- For someone who enriches my life to no end, I wish the most lavish birthday possible!